Natalka VorozhbytBAD ROADS
Large hallSix stories about life and war
Guest performance of Drama and Comedy Theatre of Kiev
Premiere - 17th May, 2019
Duration - 2h 35min
“A powerful play… A metaphor of the hard emotional ways that women choose during the war. Vorozhbyt becomes the Ukrainian Sarah Kane”
“A savage look at dehumanizing impact of war”
“Unflinching examination of the personal and the sexual, of the horrific intimacy of war”
Bad Roads is a play about life in war-torn Ukraine.
This play was performed firstly at the Royal Court Theatre Upstairs, London, on 15 November 2017. The play has six scenes, each one exploring an aspect of the war. The war at the East of Ukraine is not only explosions, shellings and names of the dead. On the other side of the front there are lives of (un)ordinary people who have been brought together by the broken roads of Donbas.
A young woman goes to the East of Ukraine in search of documentary material about the war, but there, in the gray zone of the borderland, she becomes a hostage of both sides. She lives somewhere in the middle, where there is no good and evil, where the victim and the executioner exchange their roles, and love becomes transient and elusive.
Bad Roads are six stories about the relationship between women and men, aggravated and distorted by the war, and about the fractures that will never be healed.
The performance-winner of the II Theater Festival-Award “GRA” in the nominations”
Best Dramatic Performance 2019
Best Sound Design 2019
Best Directing 2019
The performance is the winner of rating by Kyiv theatre critics “Kyivskyi Rakhunok” – the best performance of 2018
- 18+ / Performance in Ukrainian with English and Latvian surtitles
- Katerina Kačana (Kateryna Kachan), Oksana Ždanova (Oksana Zhdanova), Anastasia Pustovita (Anastasiia Pustovit), Svitlana Štanko (Svitlana Shtanko), Dmitro Olijniks (Dmytro Oliynyk), Dmitro Solovjovs (Dmytro Solovyov), Oleksandrs Sokolovs (Oleksandr Sokolov), Lesja Samajeva (Lesya Samaeva), Valērija Hodosa (Valeriia Hodos), Andrijs Isaenko (Andriy Isaenko), Marina Kļimova (Marina Klimova), Sergejs Kijaško (Sergey Kyasko)
- Tamāra Trunova (Tamara Trunova)
- Set designer
- Jurijs Larionovs (Yuriy Larionov)
- Costume designer
- Kristina Korabeļņikova (Khrystyna Korabelnykova)
- Music design
- Tamāra Trunova (Tamara Trunova), Akmals Gurezovs (Akmal Gurezov)
- Tamāra Trunova (Tamāra Trunova), Stas Žirkovs (Stas Zhyrkov), Volodimirs Šeiko (Volodymyr Sheyko)